Portland, Maine Climate & Temperature
- Portland, Maine, Usa is at 43°38'N, 70°18'W, 19 m (62 ft). See map.
- Portland, Maine has a humid continental climate with severe winters, no dry season, warm summers and strong seasonality (Köppen-Geiger classification: Dfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Portland, Maine is situated in or near the cool temperate wet forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 7.4 degrees Celsius (45.3 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 26.5 °C (47.7°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 0.5°C (32.8°F) on average falling to -9.9°C (14.2°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 11.3°C (52.3°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 1.1°C (34°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 24.6°C (76.3°F) and average low temperatures are 13.2°C (55.8°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 14.6°C (58.3°F) during the day and lows of 4°C (39.2°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1126.3 mm (44.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1126.3 Litres/m² (27.63 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2592 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Portland, Maine you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Albany, Western Australia, Australia where you would find a Mediterranean climate.
Portland, Maine Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Portland, Maine Climate Graph in Metric Units
Portland, Maine Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Portland, Maine, Usa Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Saint Johnsbury, Vt, Usa - 160.4 kms (99.7 miles) WNW
- Mount Washington, Nh, Usa - 104.4 kms (64.9 miles) NW
- Bethlehem, Nh, Usa - 140.5 kms (87.3 miles) WNW
- Hanover, Nh, Usa - 140.5 kms (87.3 miles) WNW
- Chelsea, Vt, Usa - 175.1 kms (108.8 miles) WNW
- Durham, Nh, Usa - 91 kms (56.5 miles) SW
- Keene, Nh, Usa - 154.2 kms (95.8 miles) WSW
- Lawrence, Ma, Usa - 91 kms (56.5 miles) SW
- Boston, Massachusetts, Usa - 154.1 kms (95.8 miles) SSW
- Framingham, Ma, Usa - 175.9 kms (109.3 miles) SSW
- Milton/ Blue Hill, Ma, Usa - 172.2 kms (107 miles) SSW